Friday, February 16, 2007

Ember

After watching a lame show yesterday, I insisted on catching a cool show today with Eugene, who was my Anderson schoolmate and now my colleague. I decided on my one of my favourite Marvel characters ever, the Ghost Rider!

After watching it, I would say that if Epic Movie needs a wheelchair, Ghost Rider needs a stretcher.

It's chock full of cheesy hero-speak and repartee that it's more of a comedy than anything else. But it was lame to the point that Eugene and I actually found it hilarious. And here I must quote some of the classical ones.

On the verge of destroying the Air/Wind Elemental, Ghost Rider says:
"It's time to clear the air!"

When the devil's son transformed into a new evil entity after absorbing one thousand souls, he announced:
"My new name is Legion, as I'm made of many"

I was a tad disappointed with the narration and cinematography. The film feels very segmented, the action scenes do not deliver, and the relationship between Nicholas Cage and Eva Mendes is not well developed. Overall, there's a sense of being neither here nor there, and you wonder how the 100 minutes pass.

But Nicholas Cage is not bad actually. He pulls off the pained superhero feel and the corny lines quite effortlessly. I seriously think that it must be the stupid director who screwed up the whole film with his out-of-focus themes and incessant editting. Shame on him.

Anyway, if I have my choice, I would cast another actor to portray Ghost Rider, and he is Keanu Reeves. He just needs to channel his attitude ala Constantine. That'd be seriously cool.


-= Joke of the Post =-

In the spirit of the coming Chinese New Year..

What is the most unlucky CNY song?

It's 迎春花. Because the chorus goes:

幸福来呀 幸福来呀 大地放光彩, which sounds like,

醒不来呀 醒不来呀 大厅放棺材

No comments: