Thursday, February 8, 2007

Emperor

A long time ago, I used to call myself Ming Yang the Great. Today, I have been surpassed by an totalitarian who proclaims himself the Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea.

I'm talking about the dictator Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland, which i watched with wei meng and russell today. Forest Whitaker is unbelievingly convincing as the psychotic Amin. And he really looks like a bear, albeit a schizophrenic one. He is one moment a cuddly teddy, another a ruthless and grimacing grizzly. He dismembered his fourth wife for having a tryst. The adulterer got hoisted in the air by hooks pierced into his chest. That gotta hurt. But gore aside, this is really an intense and interesting drama that I would recommend all to watch.

I also watched Happy Birthday with hui xin on Sunday. Honestly, the film has not an ounce of originality, but I like the chemistry between Louis Koo and Rene Liu very much. And Rene scores, as usual, with her nuanced yet layered performance. Overall, the flick is warm, subtle and sweet, and endearingly close to heart.

Speaking of birthdays, a lot of my friends and myself turn 21 this year. I'm quite thrilled that we are all moving towards adulthood. Towards freedom and independence. Where we decide our own destiny. That's something.


-= Joke of the Post =-

Q: Why did the vampire refuse to die for his wife?

A: Because their love was an undying love.

No comments: